Roadtrip to Zion: Part III – The West Rim

We’re back!

After completing the trek out to Angel’s Landing, we took a quick stretch break at the Scout Lookout, picked up our packs, and headed off on the West Rim trail towards our overnight campsite.

Scout Lookout

We had about a 4 mile hike remaining to get to our campsite (Campsite 1 on the West Rim). The ranger at the visitor center warned us that there would likely be mud and ice heading up to our site, so we were prepared with gaiters and crampons just in case.

We started to hit snow about 2 miles in.

Although it was snowy, we warmed up pretty quickly due to the uphill hike most of the way.

The scenery was lovely, even in the snow.

When we got to the top we quickly found our campsite and set up the tent. The actual campsite was under snow, but we found a flat spot where the sun had melted the snow enough for us to set up on dry ground.

For this trip we were carrying Jordan and my old 3-person backpacking tent and figured all four of us could squeeze in. Due to the cold we didn’t mind a few extra bodies keeping things warm.

We hung our packs from some handy broken tree limbs to keep them dry.

By this time it was about 4pm and the sun was starting to set, which meant the temperature was rapidly dropping. Jewels and I got in the tent and set the sleeping pads and bags up while the boys made coffee and hot chocolate.

We jumped out to help with dinner – some freeze dried backpacking meals. We had pesto chicken and Pad Thai. The Pad Thai was nice and spicy and I think the better of the two meals.

We all snuggled in for the night at an early hour and fortunately stayed roasty toasty despite temperatures dipping into the high 20s. Several of us even shed layers overnight!

The morning dawned bright and clear.

We struck out on the trail early, hoping to be back in time to rest and pick up our dry suits from Zion Adventures, one of the outfitters in town who supplies them.

We came across a few friendly mule deer on the trail.

Hiking downhill was much quicker, and we made it below the snow line in about an hour.

We finally made it back to the bottom, about 5.25 miles later.

After getting back to our car we headed into town to pick up our dry suits. Then we stopped for lunch at Camp Outpost Co. where we had margaritas, beer, and burgers to celebrate surviving our hike.

We highly recommend it if you have the opportunity to go!

Next up, our adventure through the Narrows!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s