We are revisiting a new twist on an old recipe this week!
Like a lot of other families, we are struggling with the rising costs of groceries and food for us and our kids. One of the things our kiddos really love is stopping for doughnuts in the morning on the way to school. In an effort to save our “doughnut money” (it gets expensive!) and to attempt a slightly healthier option, I tried out this recipe on the kids last week, and held my breath to see how things would go.
To my surprise both kids loved the doughnuts!
This week I decided to take things a step farther, and ice the doughnuts too! You’re welcome to add icing or eat them plain, I think my kids actually prefer the plain ones!
Baked Wheat Banana Doughnuts
A one bowl recipe the kids can help with!
Makes 12 doughnuts.
- 2 bananas
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream (optional)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in mixer on medium. Mix until well blended.
- Scoop out heaping tablespoons and place on baking sheet (my scoops are probably 2-3 tablespoons). Use your finger to form “doughnut holes” in the center of each doughnut. The dough will be very wet and sticky so just do the best you can, as you can tell my doughnuts were very irregular in size and shape.
- Place in oven on middle rack for 7-9 minutes, until firm on top. It will be hard to tell if they are browning due to the wheat flour, mine were not noticeably brown when I took them out of the oven.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before icing.
- Optional icing: Place powdered sugar in a bowl. Slowly mix in heavy whipping cream until it just reaches a spreadable consistency. Once the doughnuts have cooled, spread the icing and sprinkles over the tops of the doughnuts.
A single doughnut without icing has approximately 165 calories.