We tried a new recipe this week, adapted from Dr. Katrina Ubell’s tomato soup recipe mentioned in episode 12 of her Weight Loss for Busy Physicians podcast. It turned out amazing and I’m excited to share it with you here!
One-Pot Tomato Soup
An easy, healthy recipe with plenty of flavor!
Makes 5 quarts.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic (6-8 cloves)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 28oz cans San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper (optional)
- 15 oz heavy whipping cream
- Heat olive oil in a 5.5 quart dutch oven or soup pot on medium-low.
- Add onions and garlic to pot and cook covered for 20 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add butter until melted, and then add three cans of tomatoes (do not drain).
- Heat to boiling, and then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours or until tomatoes break down easily with a spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Take off heat and stir in basil, heavy whipping cream, and crushed red pepper. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Note: for smoother soup, use an immersion blender or food processor.
I recommend serving topped with plenty of parmesan cheese!
One thought on “Healthy Homemade One-Pot Tomato Soup”